“The time for a cure, from Joslin, has come. To achieve this, we need your partnership and support.” – Peter S. Amenta, MD, PhD
“The time for a cure, from Joslin, has come. To achieve this, we need your partnership and support.”
– Peter S. Amenta, MD, PhD
Joslin has the ability to harness our expertise in diabetes; our location in Boston among the preeminent biomedical institutions in the world; our unique patient population; and our position at the leading edge of research to catalyze new discoveries and apply these innovations to clinical care. But moving the needle toward a cure comes at a significant cost.
Only with increased philanthropic support will we be able to continue to deliver high-quality care to our patients and to grow our research efforts at the accelerated pace required for a cure. Our mission is clear: prevent, treat, and cure diabetes. The place is Joslin. The moment is now.
- Cure type 1 diabetes: Advance knowledge of the immune system and the microbiome to quiet the autoimmune response; regenerate beta cells; catalyze the application of cell-based therapies to clinical trial); test and develop the artificial pancreas and other emerging therapies.
- Treat and reverse type 2 diabetes: Launch studies of the microbiome and other underlying factors in the development of diabetes; advance Joslin’s groundbreaking research on insulin action and resistance, brown fat, exercise, inflammation, and physiology to identify and develop therapeutics.
- Prevent and treat diabetes-related complications: Advance translational research in complications such as the eyes, dementia, kidney and heart; explore genetic and other factors that have protected people with type 1 diabetes for 50 years or longer without complications; and apply cell-based therapies to treat complications.
- Propel clinical innovation: Continue to develop, establish, and share best practices for screening, treatment, and management of type 1 and 2 diabetes and complications.
- Share our breakthroughs and clinical models: Reach patients who are not local through the emerging Joslin Care Alliance and through virtual technologies.
Page last updated: September 10, 2018